That has led to a mass migration among people throughout the country. Upwards of seventeen million people have relocated since the beginning of the pandemic. Many have opted to move from larger cities to smaller cities and towns, with more open green spaces and outdoor activities.
Asheville and Hendersonville have experienced population booms since the pandemic, on top of the steady growth they were already experiencing.
Whether you are relocating to another neighborhood or a new state, moving can be stressful. Many people hate it more than anything.
However, making just a few adjustments to your process can go a long way toward a smoother experience. As professional movers, we’ve picked up a few tips along our journey that can help you make smooth moves. Here are seven steps for a stress-free move.
Seven Steps to Having Less Stress While Moving
1) Identify What Stresses You Out the Most
Every person is different. While moving is a stressful process for virtually every person, different aspects affect people uniquely. What is your biggest pain point when it comes to moving?
- Do you hate packing boxes more than anything?
- Are you most concerned about the logistics of packing vehicles?
- Are you concerned about getting all of your vehicles to your destination in addition to your possessions?
- Do you fret about leaving some items behind?
- Do you worry about the people and home you are leaving behind?
- Are you concerned about your new routine in your new location?
- Does it stress you most to think about getting new doctors, dentists, enrolling kids in new schools, etc.?
Knowing what stresses you the most can help you and your family better understand how to help.
2) Make a Move-Out Plan That You Can Start ASAP
Now that you understand what stresses you out the most, you can plan accordingly to give yourself time to process through the most challenging parts of moving. Some things to remember when planning include:
- Plan which rooms you’ll pack first.
- Plan to have plenty of time for packing boxes.
- Plan to go through your things to see if you can reduce your load.
- Plan to have all the necessary materials such as boxes, tape, totes, newspaper, bubble wrap, etc.
- Plan how you are going to move your vehicles.
- Plan when you’re going to rent a moving truck and consider how large your moving vehicle should be.
- Plan to say goodbye to friends and neighbors.
- Plan on enrolling your kids in school. Research doctors, dentists, and other medical professionals before you move.
Making a solid plan will go a long way toward reducing stress.
3) Declutter and Reduce Your Belongings if Possible
What could be more stressful than packing and transporting items you don’t use or need any longer? Relocating to a new house, possibly a new city, provides the perfect opportunity to declutter and get rid of that stuff. Take some time to go through your possessions to determine if any can be sold or given away.
4) Pack One Room At a Time
You can’t do it all at once. You can save yourself a lot of trouble by packing one room at a time over the course of several days or weeks. You will feel accomplished each time you complete a room, and it will reduce the need for all-nighters as you get closer to your moving date.
5) Label Every Box
Pack your home with the end in mind. Having everything labeled well will help you so much when you arrive at your new house. On each box, including the room to which the items belong and what is inside. Whoever helps you unpack your moving vehicles will be able to take the box straight to the right place, and you’ll know exactly which boxes to unpack first.
6) Use Totes or the Same Size Boxes
One of the most common frustrations with moving is getting packed into the moving vehicle. One trick to help ensure efficiency is to use the same size boxes.
You might even consider investing in some totes with locking lids and handles. This will help you better stack your possessions in your moving vehicle and organize boxes when you unpack them into your new home.
7) Hire Professional Movers
There is no way to eliminate all the stress of moving. There are aspects for which you can’t plan, like the neighbors you’ll miss and breaking times with a home full of your memories. However, the process of moving can be absolutely stress-free with the right professional moving company in place.
Appalachian Movers Transport has over eighteen years of experience helping people eliminate the stress of moving. You should be excited about your new adventure!
We can help. Contact us for more information about your in-town or long-distance move.